Every surgery has potential risks. So how ‘safe’ is safe when it comes to undergoing a procedure? A rhinoplasty, commonly known as a nose job, is the fourth most commonly performed cosmetic procedure, for both men and women, worldwide. With so many people opting for a nose enhancement, it must be relatively safe then? According to a study from the Aesthetic Surgery Journal, the complication rate from a rhinoplasty was only 0.7%. But even with the best surgeon, best facilities and best preparation, there are always some risks involved. We look at all the factors to determine ‘how safe is a rhinoplasty?’
What does surgical rhinoplasty involve?
A surgical is an operation to reshape the nose. Sometimes this means their surgically elongating a nose with dermal filler or cartilage. Sometimes it involved reducing the nose size by shaving down the nasal bone. A rhinoplasty can smooth out asymmetrical ridges on the nose, or even up the size of the nostrils and help treat breathing issues.
So, is rhinoplasty surgery safe?
Generally, yes. All surgeries have risks, but rhinoplasty risks are small and complications are rare.
You can add to the safety of your procedure by being fully informed about pre-surgery care, what will happen during the operation, and following your aftercare plan.
Firstly, your doctor will establish that you have sufficient bone and cartilage to work with and what the desired, or optimal, outcome will look like. Ask about previous patient results and instructions about what’s involved. Your doctor may offer a sketch or computer-generated plan of the expected shape and structure of your nose after the procedure. Being as informed as possible helps reduce any uncertainty you may have about the procedure.
What are the risks of surgical rhinoplasty?
Understanding the risks, as well as following your aftercare plan, is key to a safe and successful recovery.
- General anaesthetic is a risk of all operations. General anaesthesia carries the rare, but possible, complication of anaphylaxis or other breathing difficulties
- Other reactions can include nausea, vomiting and skin rashes which can occur during and/or after surgery.
- Breathing issues for people who have the size of their nose reduced. Patients may feel like their nose is blocked, however after the swelling goes down, breathing should become normal.
- Skin and tissue numbness can be common and should eventually subside.
What does non-surgical rhinoplasty involve?
Non-surgical rhinoplasties have fewer risks compared to traditional nose jobs. The procedure involves dermal fillers being injected inside the nose to alter the shape. The effect usually lasts around six months and regular top-ups are required.
What are the risks of non-surgical rhinoplasty?
Non-surgical rhinoplasty risks are skin or tissue necrosis, where the flesh dies and must be surgically removed. Other risks are infection and cysts.
The main risk with any surgery is that you could feel disappointed or dissatisfied with the end result.
That is why we at Asthetica want you to be fully informed and feel comfortable and confident about your surgery. This means understanding:
- experience and expertise
- pre-surgery instructions
- information about what will happen during the operation
- any contingency plans if a complication occurs
- your comprehensive aftercare plan
You should feel comfortable asking anything, without feeling you’re taking up ‘too much time’ or asking ‘silly questions’ (there is never a silly question when it comes to surgery!)
How does Asthetica mitigate the risks of rhinoplasty surgery?
If you have an agency with a plan, you can rest assured you will be protected and cared for appropriately. It is also important that you follow your surgeon’s instructions to ensure you have done everything possible for a successful result. To mitigate any possible risks Asthetica use:
- leading Turkish rhinoplasty surgeons,
- premium medical facilities featuring some of the latest medical equipment and technology
- several pre-surgery consultations based on your specific case
- specific and clear aftercare plans
- luxury hotels for your ultimate comfort in recovery
- access to Australian and UK registered nurses when you get home.
If you’re keen to enhance the shape of your nose without paying UK or Australian prices and without compromising on the quality of your healthcare, we can help. Simply book a free, no-obligation discovery call with our friendly team, submit an online enquiry or give us a call. Find out more about our pricing and payment plans.